Simple Lentil Chili
- 8 cups vegetable broth, divided
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, diced
- 4 tsp chili powder
- 16oz brown lentils (about 2-1/4 cup)
- 1 15 oz can black beans (do not drain)
- 1 16oz jar salsa (I use medium)
- 1 10.75oz can condensed tomato soup
- ½ cup corn, frozen or canned (optional)
- Bring ¾ cup vegetable broth to a low boil over medium heat in a large pot.
- Add onion, bell pepper, and garlic, cooking until onion is translucent.
- Stir in chili powder and cook, stirring constantly, for about 30 seconds, until powder becomes fragrant.
- Add remaining broth, lentils, black beans (with liquid), salsa, tomato soup, and corn.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, partially covered, for about 30 minutes, or until lentils are tender. Uncover and continue to simmer for another 10 minutes.
Makes one large pot of chili! This fed Xavier and I for multiple meals, and I still had to throw some in the freezer.
Recipe by Modern Martha at http://modernmartha.com/2012/08/simple-lentil-chili/