Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cupcakes are something I first made more than two years ago, and since then I have made again and again. This is definitely a WOW dessert . When you tell someone they are about to eat a cookie dough stuffed cupcake, the look of joy/excitement/incredulity in their eyes is indescribable… MIND ‘SPLOSION!
You can take the semi-homemade route like myself and use cake mix (heck yes). You could also use premade frosting, but I just don’t really like store bought frosting, so I always make my own Buttercream Frosting. It’s not too hard, I promise! But really, you could do this with any cake mix flavor or any recipe that makes 2 dozen cupcakes. And who says it needs to be chocolate chip cookie dough? I would bet strawberry cupcakes with a sugar cookie dough center would be incredible.
This time when I made them the cookie dough sunk in a bit, soufflé style, but as you can see the last time I posted these cookie dough cupcakes, that doesn’t always happen. Either way, tastes the same! This is a phenomenon I will attribute to high altitude.
- 1 box cake mix (plus the oil and eggs per the box's instructions)
- 24 cupcake baking cups
- 1 24-count pack of break-and-bake style cookie dough
- 1 frosting recipe or premade frosting
- Prepare cake mix according to box directions and preheat oven to specified temperature.
- Line cupcake tin with baking cups. Divide batter among the 24 cupcakes - each tin should be about halfway full.
- Lightly press the cookie dough squares into the batter (not quite to the bottom).
- Bake according to the cake mix instructions, or until the cookie dough is gold on top and the cupcake is cooked through.
- When done, remove from oven and let cool before frosting.