One of the difficulties switching from an omnivore diet to a vegan diet is coming up with new, easy go-to meals. I’ve been shopping at Nooch a lot lately, an all-vegan grocery store in Denver, and I see tons of products and brands I’ve never tried. It reminds me that my options are endless!
Last time I was at Nooch, I spotted Teese from Chicago Vegan Foods. Always searching for a great cheese alternative, I bit! While I don’t think this was the cheese I’ve been waiting for, it was good – I even got Xavier to eat my macaroni and cheese creation. I also made loaded nachos later in the week with it, and he loved that!
Since I took the above picture a few weeks ago, I’ve made Mac & Teese quite a few times. I use the ingredients above, minus the butter (it’s just not really necessary), and sometimes I add in Tofurky Italian Sausage (also a manchild favorite). If I’m just cooking for myself, I’ll half this recipe and save leftovers for lunch to take to work.
- 1 lb pasta of choice
- 1 16 oz package frozen broccoli florets
- 1 package Teese
- a few teaspoons of Sriracha or hot sauce of choice – more if you like it spicy like me!
- Garlic powder
- 2 Tofurky Italian Sausage links
- Boil pasta according to package directions, adding in broccoli to thaw.
- Strain pasta and broccoli and return to pot. Break broccoli apart with two forks.
- Add Teese and let melt, stirring to combine.
- Stir in hot sauce, seasoning and Tofurky Italian Sausage.