This recipe was 100% Pinterest inspired, though I didn’t follow any specific recipe. The pin that sparked the idea was from Tali’s Tomatoes, and the pin that sealed the deal with from All Recipes. It was purely experimental, so this is a non-recipe recipe. I added seasoning to it until it was just right.
Those types of recipes used to annoy me – when I asked my mom for her famous Beef Stroganoff, she says, “Oh there a little of.. and a little.. and this is optional.. and sometimes I like to..” But I’ve learned – sometimes you really do have to play with something until it’s exactly the way you want it. The seasoning amounts are all estimates, so just add a little and taste, then add more if needed.
- 1 sweet potato, cubed, skin on
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- about 1 tbsp chili powder
- about 1 tsp cumin
- a few dashes of cayenne pepper
- about 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 3-4 tortillas
- Cover potatoes with water and bring to a boil. Boil until soft, about 20 minutes or so.
- Mash with the back of a fork. Add in half the black beans and the chili powder, cumin, cayenne and soy sauce, and continue to mash.
- Add in remainder of beans so you have some full beans in the mixture.
- Divide mixture onto tortillas, layering with spinach, salsa and avocado.