This recipe is incredibly easy. Only six ingredients! And so little time and effort goes into assembling this masterpiece. The pumpkin adds a very subtle flavor with a certain creaminess and sweetness that compliments the spicy salsa. That’s right, salsa. Salsa is my not-so-secret trick to super-simple, easy to make chili. And I highly encourage you to use Pace chunky salsa. You can choose mild or medium – whichever floats your boat! I prefer medium because I feel like it gives it a needed kick. You can always cool it down with a dollop of sour cream and a little shredded cheese.
Just a small side note on the chili seasoning. If it’s not located on the baking aisle with all of the other spices, check the ethnic food aisle with the taco kits.
- 1 lb lean ground turkey
- 2-1/2 cups canned pumpkin
- 1 16oz can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 16oz can chili beans, with liquid
- 1 1.25oz packet mild chili seasoning
- 1 24oz jar Pace chunky salsa (medium)
- sour cream and shredded cheese for topping (optional)
- In a large pot brown turkey over medium heat.
- Add remaining ingredients plus one 16oz can full of water, and bring to a low boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer covered for at least 30 minutes to let flavors meld together. Stir occasionally.