I love pantry meals because it helps you to be more creative. HA! Okay, now let’s be serious. I love pantry meals because it means I don’t have to go to the grocery store.
Today I offered to make dinner for Xavier last minute. The idea of going to the grocery store at 5 p.m. was the last thing I wanted to do. I racked my brain for a pantry meal I could make. Ziti, I thought. I’m so brilliant! The minute I got home I started pulling ingredients.. pasta sauce, noodles, ground beef (from the freezer), cheese… wait… cheese? NO!
One thing I certainly have in abundance is Kraft Macaroni & Cheese. Xavier and I split a huge 12-pack from Sam’s Club, and ever since I’ve been trying to come up with creative ways to use all of it. Tonight was the perfect night for that. I present to you, cheater’s chili mac. Traditional chili mac is more chili with a side of mac, but this Tex-Mex creation was wonderful.
- 1 box Kraft macaroni and cheese (plus 2 tbsp butter and ¼ cup milk)
- ½ pound ground beef
- ½ can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can mild Rotel, drain excess liquid
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- ¼ tsp cumin
- Prepare macaroni according to box directions. I recommend only using 2 tbsp butter instead of the recommended 4 tbsp.
- While macaroni is cooking, brown the ground beef. Drain excess grease.
- Add ground beef, black beans, rotel, chili powder, and cumin and stir.