I thought I would share one of my top 10 recipes of all time. I started cooking for the family when I was about 10 years old. I had two signature dishes: a tuna melt crescent ring and macaroni and cheese. My mom picked up a children’s cookbook for my sister and me, and of course the macaroni and cheese is the recipe we picked out first. In fact, it may be the only recipe that we ever used! If you’re looking for that perfectly creamy macaroni and cheese, this one is for you. Note: don’t use pre-shredded cheese! It won’t be nearly as creamy. Also, serve this fresh. It’s best served right away.
My Favorite Macaroni & Cheese Recipe
- 1 lb macaroni elbows or shells (I love shells because they hold the cheese)
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1-1/2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 2 cups half and half
- 16 oz sharp cheddar, cubed
- a dash of salt (a little will do, the worcestershire and hot cause are plenty salty)
- ½ tsp worcestershire sauce
- a few dashes hot pepper sauce
- Boil macaroni according to package directions. Drain.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in medium saucepan. Add flour and stir until smooth. Add half and half. Heat on medium until sauce comes to a low boil and thickens slightly.
- Remove saucepan from heat and add cheese cubes, salt, worcestershire sauce, and hot pepper sauce.
- Pour over macaroni.