A lot of people have been asking me if I think Birchbox is worth $10 a month. Honestly, it’s hard for me to say definitively yes or no, because of my four boxes, I’ve loved some things and then there are always items I know right away aren’t for me.
When I put the price into perspective, I’ve spent $40 on these so far, and I know I’ve received way more than $40 worth of products, and I’ve found new products I really like and wouldn’t have known about or tried otherwise. There have been boxes where I definitely get $10 worth of product, but I might not like $10 worth of it. There’s a mental value, so it’s certainly a trade off.
In my May box, I ended up loving the Jouer Mini Tinted Lip Enhancer in “Shiraz,” the Archipelago Pomegranate Soap, and the Tiny Prints Greeting Card. I’ve been using the lip gloss/balm almost every day, and I can tell it will last awhile. I think that box just made my mental $10 value, and I think the same goes for my box this month. I’ll have to continue to test these to decide for sure. My favorite box of all time is still my box from March (full sized Pangea Organics lip balm, anyone?).
This month’s theme is travel.
- Deborah Lippmann Stripper To Go – I would probably never buy these on my own ($12 for six? Yikes), but I definitely see the practical use for these. When I travel anywhere I go with bare nails because I hate when they chip, and it’s not like you carry remover with you on a short trip. This definitely solves that problem.
- SIRCUIT® Cosmeceuticals Molecular Mist – The bottle says to spritz this on your face to prevent dryness. It recommends spraying on before your moisturizer or after your makeup. It has a scent to it that I find very refreshing and light. I don’t have a dry skin problem (especially since it’s summer), but I can see loving this in the fall/winter.
- kate spade new york Twirl – 3.4 fl oz – The verdict is still out on this fragrance, but I’ll keep you posted.
- Laura Geller Baked Blush-n-Brighten – THIS is the product that makes the box. It’s a full-size container, which retails for $29.50(!!!). It has a light shimmer in it, perfect for the summer. A lot of people aren’t shimmer or glitter fans, but I have a feeling I will love this. The color I got is Honey Dipped, which I think will be great for my coloring.
- Nuxe Réve de Miel® Ultra Comfortable Body Cream – I’ve yet to try this yet, but I’m not terribly excited by a body cream. I prefer the makeup products to the skincare products I continue to receive. I understand each box is an assortment of beauty products, but I’m waiting for the day I can select a makeup-only box.
So there you have it. Now you can see what I mean by “Is it worth it?” I got way, way more than $10 worth of product, but mentally I feel like I just hit the mark. The Laura Geller blush is the standout product this month, and I can’t wait to use it.