This is another lovely guest blog from none other than Lauren. Enjoy!
I saw this recipe on the cooking channels show Hungry Girl and decided to try it. To be honest, I’m not the biggest fan of her. I feel like most of the swaps she makes are fairly obvious or too artificial and not healthy, but I really wanted a cupcake, and didn’t believe her that she could make a standard size cupcake for only 110 calories.
The only thing I did differently was I used real sugar instead of splenda and I used 2 real eggs as opposed to the egg substitute. These swaps probably made my cupcakes closer to 120 calories, but I can live with that. Overall they were pretty good and definitely a great dessert if you are trying to watch calories. Hungry Girl has multiple other cupcake recipes that I will be trying in the very near future.
2 cups moist-style chocolate cake mix (1/2 of an 18.25-ounce box)
One 25-calorie packet diet hot cocoa mix
1/2 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute
1 tablespoon Splenda No Calorie Sweetener, granulated
1/8 teaspoon salt
- Dissolve the hot cocoa mix in ¼ cup of hot water. Combine all ingredients and 1 cup cold water into mixing bowl.
- Place batter evenly in a lined standard 12 cupcake pan.
- Bake for about 15-18 minutes until tooth pick comes out clean.
1/4 cup Jet-Puffed Marshmallow Cream
1 teaspoon light vanilla soymilk (I used regular milk)
- Instead of a frosting these cupcakes they use a marshmallow fluff glaze. At first the marshmallow fluff became very watery and started to separate. Just keep stirring until it becomes smooth, then drizzle over cupcakes.
1 tablespoon mini semi-sweet chocolate chips
12 mini marshmallows
- Sprinkle on top of the cupcakes. And I may have accidentally used more chocolate chips and mini marshmallows than the recipe asks for.
PER SERVING (1 glazed and topped cupcake): 109 calories, 2g fat, 230mg sodium, 21g carbs, 0.75g fiber, 12.5g sugars, 2g protein